Tree trimming is undoubtedly the best way to help your trees, shrubs, and hedges get into the best shape and look their best. Trees are a very vital part of our world as they supply us with oxygen, stores carbon, stabilize the soil, and support wildlife. If you’re interested in preserving your trees and encourage healthy growth in them, you have to consider tree trimming services. Tree trimming or pruning is ultimately about removing dead, broken, or unwanted branches from a tree, thereby maintaining its aesthetics. Read on to learn when to trim a tree, the techniques involved, and every other thing a homeowner needs to know about tree trimming.
When to Trim a Tree
Knowing the best time of the year to prune or trim your trees is very important. While tree trimming can technically be done at any time of the year, tree care professionals recommend that the best time to prune or trim trees and shrubs is during the winter months or early spring. This is because, during these periods, most trees are dormant (i.e not growing) which makes it the ideal time to prune or trim them.
Check with the Authorities
Before you settle on cutting or trimming a tree, check your local regulations. If your tree is significant or qualifies as a heritage tree, you will need a permit or written permission to cut or trim it. You can hire a tree care specialist to do the research for you before you go ahead to cut or trim a tree as you can pay a huge fine for cutting or trimming a significant or heritage tree without written permission.
Types of Tree Trimming
When it comes to determining the right type of tree trimming to go with, it all depends on several factors such as the type of the tree, reasons for trimming, and the tree’s habitat. Here are some types of tree trimming to maintain the healthy growth of your tree and improve its aesthetic.
1. Crown Cleaning: This is the most basic level of tree pruning that involves the removal of dead, dying, and diseased branches. This type of tree trimming lowers the risk of injury to you or your home and also improves the appearance of your tree. Clown cleaning needs to be performed regularly to keep your tree safe and healthy.
2. Crown Thinning: This is a process whereby a certified arborist will selectively remove branches to thin the canopy of the tree and allow air movement and light penetration throughout the crown of the tree. This is vital in maintaining the shape and appearance of the trees for many years.
3. Crown Raising: Crown raising involves removing lower branches to raise the tree’s canopy. This process is usually done for trees that overhang a driveway or walkway. Crown raising also allows sunlight to reach grasses and plants below the tree.
4. Crown Reduction: This type of pruning is used to reduce the canopy of the tree to ensure your tree doesn’t become too heavy at the top.
5. Crown Restoration: This type of tree trimming is usually for trees that have sustained damage from storm damage or disease, whereby the damaged tree is pruned of loose and partially broken branches. Crown restoration fosters new growth and helps to restore the tree to a more robust and solid structure.
All of these tree trimming types can be combined to achieve the desired goal. A professional tree trimming specialist will help you determine the right tree trimming technique to achieve your desired results and improve the health of your tree.
Hire a Professional Tree Trimming Service
Tree trimming may seem like a simple task of just putting on your hard hat, gloves, and safety glasses coupled with the necessary tools like pruning shears, pole pruner, and chainsaw but there is more to it.
Here are some of the things tree care professionals will consider before carrying out a tree trimming service:
- The height of the tree
- The size of the limbs and branches to be removed
- The specific goal you want to achieve from trimming your tree.
- The best techniques, and the right trimming tools and equipment to use.
- Nearby obstacles such as your home, power lines, or a neighbor’s house and the best way to manage them.
Due to the high risk of serious injury in tackling a tree trimming job especially when you’re using power tools such as chainsaws or the limbs that need to be removed is too high on the tree (some might even be close to a powerline), it’s best to call in a pro. Professional tree trimming services have the skills, expertise, and equipment to properly trim your trees with minimal risk.
When you use a professional tree trimming company, you’ll be at peace knowing that the outcome will be nothing short of perfect.
Getting a Tree Trimming Estimate
Before hiring a tree trimming company, ensure you know what’s included in the cost. You can request a free tree trimming estimate from your local tree service provider, and get an idea of what it’s going to cost you to properly trim your trees. Below are some factors that would influence the cost to trim your trees.
Factors that determine the cost to trim a tree
- Tree species
- The size of the tree
- Location of the tree
- The condition of the tree
- The number of trees to be trimmed
- Hauling away the branches
This is not an exhaustive list of factors that determines the cost to trim a tree as each company differs slightly in their procedures from others. Speaking with a reliable tree care professional in your city or county will help you determine the exact cost to properly trim your tree.
Benefits of Tree Trimming
Tree trimming offers several benefits to your trees and here are a few of them:
- Tree trimming helps to improve the overall health of your trees.
- It can prevent the total removal of trees by detecting dead or diseased branches on time.
- It can help reduce the risk of branches that could fall and damage property
- Tree trimming helps the tree to get better exposure to sunlight and airflow.
- Improves the overall appearance of the tree and property.
- It stimulates proper tree growth and prevents overgrowth.
- It removes branches that are potential hazards and can cause serious personal injury.
Tree trimming is an important undertaking every homeowner needs to pay attention to. Not only will it help your tree stay healthy, but it will also make the tree looks aesthetically pleasing. To determine the best way to trim your trees and achieve your desired result, it’s important to consider a professional tree service provider near you. They have the skill, expertise, and equipment to improve your tree health while eliminating potential risks with DIY methods.